HSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSA

I have my HSA through HSA Bank and I've been transferring all of my contributions over to be invested.  I noticed that HSA bank withdraws $ from the invested $ as needed to pay for it's fees.  I don't incur any tax penalty for this, correct?  Just wondering if I should instead be leaving a small stash in the HSA account instead of letting them withdraw.

Thanks.

I have my HSA through HSA Bank and I’ve been transferring all of my contributions over to be invested.  I noticed that HSA bank withdraws $ from the invested $ as needed to pay for it’s fees.  I don’t incur any tax penalty for this, correct?  Just wondering if I should instead be leaving a small stash in the HSA account instead of letting them withdraw.

Thanks.

Yes, I would leave a small cash balance to take care of it. Here is a comparison of other HSA custodians. Click on the column header for "Monthly Maintenance Fees" and you can sort by fee to find no-cost providers.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Can you clarify why you're saying I should leave a small amount in the account?  I'm fine having them pull it as long as I'm not incurring any tax penalty

Comment

It sounds like you're talking about leaving money in your HSA bank instead of investing it.  They charge me $3 / month or $36 per year for not keeping the $3,000 minimum in my HSA bank. That's only ~1%. I'm hoping that my money invested beats that so I keep Just a minimal $100 in the HSA and transfer the rest. I say pay the fee. No use keeping the money out of the market (if you're using it as a stealth IRA).

Comment

Yes, leave a little or they send you hatemail.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Can you clarify why you’re saying I should leave a small amount in the account?  I’m fine having them pull it as long as I’m not incurring any tax penalty

Because that's a cornerstone of my investment policy. Only invest what you won't need for 5 years. It's only $2.75/mo, anyway. Plus, may be fees within the mutual funds that are charged against you for these liquidations. I can't imagine your expenses in a fund that would allow liquidations like that would match the expenses of a fund available to the public. Many funds charge 2% if you liquidate w/i 90 days of investing.
            Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

My HSA requires that you leave a certain amount in cash.  You can pick how much.  I choose 2000 because I figured that would cover most of our deductible if one of us got sick.  Anything over 2000 gets invested and left alone for the long haul.

Comment

Working...
              X