Backdoor Roth Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backdoor Roth Taxes

Hi- I did something dumb. Put the 5500 in tIRA, forgot about it and it "earned" $0.03.  Did my Roth conversion of the 5500, now there is 3 cents left over in the tIRA.  What do I do?  Leave it and when tax time comes it will just be rounded down to 0? Does this matter at all?  Any suggestions? Thanks.

Could just leave it. Report the $.03 earnings on your taxes and it will not affect anything. Same thing happened to me earlier this year and I freaked out. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

Hi- I did something dumb. Put the 5500 in tIRA, forgot about it and it “earned” $0.03.  Did my Roth conversion of the 5500, now there is 3 cents left over in the tIRA.  What do I do?  Leave it and when tax time comes it will just be rounded down to 0? Does this matter at all?  Any suggestions? Thanks.

It doesn't matter at all. Convert it all or leave it there until next year so you won't have to re-open the account.
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Amazing how common this is and how much stress it causes the newbie backdoor converter (myself included on my first!)   

Comment

I've gotten this email/comment/question at least a dozen times. You don't report pennies on your taxes. So 3 cents = $0 as far as the IRS is concerned.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X