X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benign_user
    replied

I think the appropriate data would involve a three dimensional scatterbox, with axes of 1) income reported as $/minute of work, 2) 20 most common ICD-10 codes, 3) zip code of primary residence normalized by the minutes of travel time to primary money making site.

then of course, you would have to have separate categories for private practice, government, academic, private practice at academic, academic at private hospital, hospital employee, independent contractor, partner of a democratic group, nonpartner of a democratic group, CMG.

and then probably need some kind of way to account for folks that get paid for admin time or teaching time or flirting with the nurses time.

I’m still amazed that people on this forum are asking me why I’m curious about physicians’ income.
    Click to expand…

b_u, perhaps the above may be a part of the reason?

Mock all you want, but medical students and residents can potentially learn from threads like these on what factors can result in lower and higher salaries.

Leave a comment:

• Anne
    replied
    You asked a question and then some people gave you some pretty reasonable answers.  Then you expressed disbelief because you don't know any doctors who make that little.  Then you asked the vague question of why someone was paid so little.  I don't think you're getting backlash.  My reaction is more one of confusion.

Let's switch to a topic that has nothing to do with money to illustrate.  Other popular topics on this forum are obesity and food intake.  So let's ask the question, "How many calories do Americans eat a day?"  It's a useless question in isolation.  You are going to get answers back of 500-10000.  So then ask "How much do Americans weigh?"  Again, useless answers.

Physicians make a wide range of incomes and have a wide range of net worths.  There is data out there to give you more specific answers--you can look at medscape, MGMA, etc.  Perhaps a more interesting question is why do some doctors choose a lower paying field when they could have chosen a higher paying field?  Or why do some doctors take a lower paying job after being offered a higher paying job?  Or how do some doctors manage to accrue a decent net worth despite being paid what you consider to be peanuts?  I could answer all of those questions for you, as could others here.  But I have no idea what you are really trying to figure out--if it really is just the questions of percentiles I think you should get access to MGMA etc. and do some research.  Maybe write an article about it.  I might read it.  But maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    I think the appropriate data would involve a three dimensional scatterbox, with axes of 1) income reported as $/minute of work, 2) 20 most common ICD-10 codes, 3) zip code of primary residence normalized by the minutes of travel time to primary money making site.

then of course, you would have to have separate categories for private practice, government, academic, private practice at academic, academic at private hospital, hospital employee, independent contractor, partner of a democratic group, nonpartner of a democratic group, CMG.

and then probably need some kind of way to account for folks that get paid for admin time or teaching time or flirting with the nurses time.

I’m still amazed that people on this forum are asking me why I’m curious about physicians’ income.

b_u, perhaps the above may be a part of the reason?

Leave a comment:

• benign_user
    replied

Why does dusn’s region matter if you want global/US numbers?

I’m having trouble understanding your backlash to the fact we can’t answer your constantly evolving question

Because Dusn is reporting earnings that are much lower than the ones I see in my colleagues. So I'm trying to figure out why they are so low.

Leave a comment:

• benign_user
    replied

why are you so obsessed with physician incomes? it’s a meaningless question, kind of like if I posted how much does a house cost?
    Click to expand…

Because income is the main way physicians finance any investments and correct me if I’m wrong but this is the “whitecoatinvestor.com”. I’m still amazed that people on this forum are asking me why I’m curious about physicians’ income.
    Click to expand…

most people here are more concerned regarding net worth, not income

Well there's only three components to net worth: income, saving, time. We can't control time (age) so I'm asking about one of the two components we can control.

Leave a comment:

• SerrateAndDominate
    replied
    Why does dusn’s region matter if you want global/US numbers?

I’m having trouble understanding your backlash to the fact we can’t answer your constantly evolving question

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

why are you so obsessed with physician incomes? it’s a meaningless question, kind of like if I posted how much does a house cost?
    Click to expand…

Because income is the main way physicians finance any investments and correct me if I’m wrong but this is the “whitecoatinvestor.com”. I’m still amazed that people on this forum are asking me why I’m curious about physicians’ income.

most people here are more concerned regarding net worth, not income

Leave a comment:

• benign_user
    replied

Because income is the main way physicians finance any investments and correct me if I'm wrong but this is the "whitecoatinvestor.com". I'm still amazed that people on this forum are asking me why I'm curious about physicians' income.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    why are you so obsessed with physician incomes? it's a meaningless question, kind of like if I posted how much does a house cost?

Leave a comment:

• benign_user
    replied

All the primary care physicians I know make < 250k for full time but they’re all employed. It probably averages around 195k. And for Peds it would be lower. The numbers I see on this forum and on surveys are way higher than the people I know.

One of the better paying fields right out of residency appears to be anesthesia.

Disclaimer: the above is completely anecdotal information.

What area of the country do you live in?

Leave a comment:

• benign_user
    replied

To clarify: 200k is full time at my job. I’m 0.75 fte. So 150k. Even less than you imagined! I’m doing academic medicine currently which most folks know is less highly paid than other options. I work about 25 hours a week. I feel like I’m pretty well paid for the privilege of working a job I love. It might seem”low paid” to many posters here but when I look at the world around me, it certainly is not. I have a great life, we certainly don’t struggle financially and I would never complain about my salary. To each their own though.

Congratulations on obtaining a job that you love and doing well financially. I would rather have what you have than a 7 figure job that I dislike.

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    To clarify: 200k is full time at my job. I'm 0.75 fte. So 150k. Even less than you imagined! I'm doing academic medicine currently which most folks know is less highly paid than other options. I work about 25 hours a week. I feel like I'm pretty well paid for the privilege of working a job I love. It might seem"low paid" to many posters here but when I look at the world around me, it certainly is not. I have a great life, we certainly don't struggle financially and I would never complain about my salary. To each their own though.

Leave a comment:

• Dusn
    replied
    All the primary care physicians I know make < 250k for full time but they’re all employed. It probably averages around 195k. And for Peds it would be lower. The numbers I see on this forum and on surveys are way higher than the people I know.

One of the better paying fields right out of residency appears to be anesthesia.

Disclaimer: the above is completely anecdotal information.

Leave a comment:

• afan
    replied
    To get a global US number you would have to weight by the number of docs in each specialty. There are a lot more pediatricians and family practice people than there are spine neurosurgeons.

You would need the incone distributions across specialties and numbers in each group. You would think the entities that report surveys would have those data. But the bin sizes might be too small to be meaningful. They could probably could try to adjust for the actual number of docs in each field using reasonably good data. But they have to assume their results are representative of the field as a whole, for which there is no way to know.

The IRS probably has reported uncome for households in which at least one person reports their job as physician. I don't know that they release theae numbers.

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    The difficult thing with aggregating data into the percentiles you want (25th, 50th, 75th), is that not only would you need to know the salary variability per specialty, you’d also have to know how many of each of those kinds of physicians there are.

And even with the MGMa data I don’t think the numbers are representative of the number of physicians in each specialty.

tl;dr I’m not sure the data you want is available anywhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X