• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

59% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index

30% Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index
    11% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index 

Is above too aggressive?

I am 40 and I have been recommended 60/20/20 - to put more in Bonds 20% instead of 10%.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comment

Is above too aggressive?

It all comes down to personal preference based on risk tolerance. I'm 41 and keep 10% in bonds. I link to five risk tolerance quizzes here.

At retirement, I plan to hold 5 years worth of expenses in bonds  ($400,000) which will likely be in the range of 12.5% to 15% of our retirement nest egg, but will in all likelihood drift lower as a percentage as our nest egg continues to grow most years.

Cheers!

-PoF

Comment

Solid advice from an adviser.   That beats 80% of the general market right there.

Yes, could have garnered that from Bogleheads and here if one knew where to look --- which is half the battle.

So Kudos for finding a good adviser that recommends sound advise.  Better that you found us for future contributions

Comment

Do they have a good plan? Yeah, seems like it. Should someone be able to get that advise for less (or 0?) ? Yes.

Did I? Oh no, I made much bigger mistakes getting here. Landing with a solid plan from day 1 is worth something. I'd happily trade the time, money and opportunity costs for a few k to be better prepared. But... some of use learn the hard way.

Comment

Is above too aggressive?
            Click to expand…

It all comes down to personal preference based on risk tolerance. I’m 41 and keep 10% in bonds. I link to five risk tolerance quizzes here.

At retirement, I plan to hold 5 years worth of expenses in bonds  ($400,000) which will likely be in the range of 12.5% to 15% of our retirement nest egg, but will in all likelihood drift lower as a percentage as our nest egg continues to grow most years.

Cheers!

-PoF

That's a nice collection of quizzes. I think I'd trade it all for one bear market though. Nothing that will teach you about your risk tolerance better than your behavior in a bear market. That's why I recommend you err a little on the conservative side until your first one.
            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
            X