Accidentally overfunded 529

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally overfunded 529

I was checking our 529 accounts which are on autocontribute and somehow I slightly exceeded the $15k annual limit for 2020. I can't find a way to "uncontribute" on the website. What should I do?

It's 15K per donor per beneficiary.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
      It's 15K per donor per beneficiary.
      Yes, I accidentally autocontributed a couple hundred dollars over $15k for one child. My spouse does not have a 529 for this child. Is there a way to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by tailwind225 View Post

Yes, I accidentally autocontributed a couple hundred dollars over $15k for one child. My spouse does not have a 529 for this child. Is there a way to fix this?
        since you are married, you can contribute 30k/yr.

if you were not married, you would just fill out a form 709.

ie you're fine.

Comment

Great thank you!

Comment

Even if the OP had contributed over 30k, could he or she just contribute a little less next year and still not have to worry about reporting it on taxes? I thought you just have to be under the total gift tax limits over a 5 year period I.e. 150k for a married couple?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusn View Post
              Even if the OP had contributed over 30k, could he or she just contribute a little less next year and still not have to worry about reporting it on taxes? I thought you just have to be under the total gift tax limits over a 5 year period I.e. 150k for a married couple?
              You would have to report it.

Comment

Working...
              X