Umbrella policy if you have a trampoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

The problem is there is no counter without going to court. You're just subject to their decision. You can argue with them, but you have no leverage.

For those wondering why I have insurance even if I can afford to replace the entire boat? I guess because I think I'm more likely than the average boater to total. I think it's a good deal. Plus it's convenient. I'm more likely to do a repair and still have a boat if insurance is paying for it!
    Insurance companies know that any attorney will take it probably on a 1/3 retainer. Presto, settle for 2/3's or the claim value IF they are playing nice.

Comment

The problem is there is no counter without going to court. You're just subject to their decision. You can argue with them, but you have no leverage.

For those wondering why I have insurance even if I can afford to replace the entire boat? I guess because I think I'm more likely than the average boater to total. I think it's a good deal. Plus it's convenient. I'm more likely to do a repair and still have a boat if insurance is paying for it!
      It sounds like a good move. We have a tri-toon and unlikely to do anything to total it. No gelcoat involved. The motor might blow up or something I guess which would be $$$

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

It sounds like a good move. We have a tri-toon and unlikely to do anything to total it. No gelcoat involved. The motor might blow up or something I guess which would be $$$
        Boats do sink from time to time. Put that engine underwater and it's probably totaled.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Boats do sink from time to time. Put that engine underwater and it's probably totaled.
          Sooo, if I have a boat (which I don’t) when I hit a rock I should make sure to hit it hard enough to sink? I might jump up and down to help it along.
          Please don’t tell me Katie’s ortho visit happened due to one of those times.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Sooo, if I have a boat (which I don’t) when I hit a rock I should make sure to hit it hard enough to sink? I might jump up and down to help it along.
            Please don’t tell me Katie’s ortho visit happened due to one of those times.
            Not sure why you think I want to total my boat. I just buy insurance in case I do.

And no, Katie didn't get hurt boating.
            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Not sure why you think I want to total my boat. I just buy insurance in case I do.

And no, Katie didn't get hurt boating.
              Avoids getting screwed by the insurance company. Brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Avoids getting screwed by the insurance company. Brand new.
                I'm sure they can still figure out a way to hose you! But I agree, it would be harder for them to nickel and dime on gel coat dings. But they could argue it was worth less than you think or fight you on what was inside the boat etc.

Comment

Agreed. But it would take pretty spectacular stupidity to sink a tritoon on the lake. Teenage captains aside perhaps trying to turn it into a wakeboat

Comment

I am surprised the insurance company has not cancelled the policy after two five-figure claims on a policy that cost less than $300. Hardly surprising that they try to keep payments low.

Comment

The original topic started off with insurance not covering with a trampoline so I thought I would chime in on that. I recently changed home owners insurance and they gave me some trouble with it as well. Ultimately, I went with Hanover Insurance company for the home owners as well as a $2 million dollar umbrella policy. They didn't give any problems but they did request that it be netted.

Comment

Working...
                      X