Umbrella policy if you have a trampoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G View Post

I was thinking a rock garden and/or a water feature.

BTW, echoing Jim, I do not recall USAA asking me about a trampoline.
    I think they know about ours. I just don't recall it being a big deal.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I am an orthopedic surgeon. The house we moved into 8 years ago had a hole for an in-ground trampoline. We used it as a burn pit for a couple of years and then a few years ago had our landscapers build some nice half circle, stone, raised garden beds after filling in the hole. Our neighbors across the street put in an in-ground trampoline so the mom could use it for photo shoots (she’s a photographer). She sustained a Lisfranc injury and was still walking with a limp 2 years later when they moved away.

I realize that kids can get hurt in lots of ways, but you couldn’t pay me to have a trampoline in my yard. I’ve treated lots of devastating upper extremity injuries in kids, but 8/10 of them are from trampolines.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

May not be worth it in a vacuum, but a blog post detailing WCI vs Progressive in small claims court would be a must read.
        First move of the insurance company would be to move it to a different court and hit WCI with a ton of motions. You see, the technique is to give a new hire a chance to run up the tab for the plaintiff and learn how to wear them and their resources out. Offer to settle? Not without the directing all types of motions for dismissal and counter suits. They don't pay attorneys a feel or percentage. Depositions, expert witnesses and anything including delays and postponements.
        Tiger cub in training going to go for the kill.

Comment

I guess if you turned into a serial killer then you’ve already got a jump on the mass burial site but I would highly recommend against going that route.

Comment

I have a friend who is basically a trampoline lawyer. He says front flips are a problem, they are prohibited at their retail places

we have a trampoline. Installed after all my insurance was already in plane. I never asked my insurance agent about it. I guess I should clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

First move of the insurance company would be to move it to a different court and hit WCI with a ton of motions. You see, the technique is to give a new hire a chance to run up the tab for the plaintiff and learn how to wear them and their resources out. Offer to settle? Not without the directing all types of motions for dismissal and counter suits. They don't pay attorneys a feel or percentage. Depositions, expert witnesses and anything including delays and postponements.
              Tiger cub in training going to go for the kill.
              It probably varies by state, but in many states, if you're in small claims court, then it's hard to get out of it for the reasons you mention. Some states even prohibit attorneys from representing either party in small claims court.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

It's already written. Not much to say though. They're arguing the damage to the gelcoat on the BOTTOM of the boat from hitting a rock is "dock rash" from hitting the dock and was pre-existing prior to hitting the rock. As if I park the boat on top of the dock. As if I could hit the bottom of the boat on the dock. It's bizarre but not worth going to small claims court over. At least they're fixing most of what they should.
                Surprised you have anything other than liability on the boat? We also have progressive for ours as Amica won't insure it.
                I remember the crap kids did on trampolines when I was a kid, no thanks!

Comment

We have allstate homeowners and umbrella. Also have an in ground trampoline. They never asked about it . . .🤷‍♀️

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                    We have allstate homeowners and umbrella. Also have an in ground trampoline. They never asked about it . . .🤷‍♀️
                    I hear good things about Allstate from the boat dealership service desk too!
                    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                      Surprised you have anything other than liability on the boat? We also have progressive for ours as Amica won't insure it.
                      I remember the crap kids did on trampolines when I was a kid, no thanks!
                      It's the best deal on insurance out there. < $400 a year. I've had two 5 figure claims. I can't believe how cheap boat insurance is. Maybe that's why they have to weasel out of legitimate claims. But you're right, we probably could self-insure, but I think I'm a higher risk boater than most given my use patterns (not that I'm a bad driver or something, I just use my boat (80+ hours a seasons) and take my boat places that many would not--murky water, rapidly changing water levels, underwater rockfalls, flash floods etc.)

Comment

It's the best deal on insurance out there. < $400 a year. I've had two 5 figure claims. I can't believe how cheap boat insurance is. Maybe that's why they have to weasel out of legitimate claims. But you're right, we probably could self-insure, but I think I'm a higher risk boater than most given my use patterns (not that I'm a bad driver or something, I just use my boat (80+ hours a seasons) and take my boat places that many would not--murky water, rapidly changing water levels, underwater rockfalls, flash floods etc.)
                        For a day boat on freshwater, yes, cheap.

Different story with larger/more complex craft or anything with access to the sea.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for your gelcoat though. Hull damage to go with it?

Comment

Short answer -- agree with everyone else. Do NOT have a trampoline. Here, one of the nicer parks in town has a "pseudo" trampoline that's some sort of ultra-padded and fenced in thing for kids to jump around in. You can get pretty good "air" with it, but you are not personally liable. I can find out the brand/type it is for you, if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

For a day boat on freshwater, yes, cheap.

Different story with larger/more complex craft or anything with access to the sea.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for your gelcoat though. Hull damage to go with it?
                            No

Comment

No
                              That's good at least--though I suppose it would have helped you counter that ridiculous "the dock did it" claim!

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

That's good at least--though I suppose it would have helped you counter that ridiculous "the dock did it" claim!
                                The problem is there is no counter without going to court. You're just subject to their decision. You can argue with them, but you have no leverage.

For those wondering why I have insurance even if I can afford to replace the entire boat? I guess because I think I'm more likely than the average boater to total. I think it's a good deal. Plus it's convenient. I'm more likely to do a repair and still have a boat if insurance is paying for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X