X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uptoolate
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
    Anyone catch anything cool on their dashcam over the last few years?
    I wished i had had one a couple of days ago when a beautiful red-tailed hawk streaked across in front of my windshield going for something in the median. I agree that the best dashcam footage is indeed from Russia. So many incredible accidents - many 'near-misses' are wild. Best of all was the meteor that fell there in 2013 - link is to ABC News coverage. https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/met...jured-18516684

Leave a comment:

• GogglesandScarf
    replied
    If you live and park your vehicle someplace with extreme temperatures be sure to look into cams with capacitors not batteries, the time before failure is much longer.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    MIA is the pits....

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Anyone catch anything cool on their dashcam over the last few years?

Leave a comment:

• Bev
    replied
    Get one! It is beneficial considering all of the situations we encounter with driving.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    My brother in law experienced a freeway accident where the car to his front right blew a tire. The car then veered left into his driving lane. My BIL then reflexively veered right to avoid hitting the car in which he was then side swiped from his right rear. He sent the video to his insurance. They cut him a check for a total replacement in under a week.

Leave a comment:

• pistolpete
    replied
    Originally posted by jawdr View Post
    Everyone should have a dashcam. We have many reckless drivers in south Fl where I live. The footage from mine and my gf's dashcam has been beneficial in many situations. She was involved in a crash where the other driver merged into her turn lane illegally and the other driver tried to put the blame on her in front of the police officer. We later emailed the footage to the officer who amended the police report stating the other car was at fault. My car was hit while a valet driver was inside the car and the incident was recorded. We had another incident where a valet driver stole items out of my center console. The video faced outward however audio was captured with the sound of the center console opening/closing with the valet driver in the car unnecessarily for about 2 mins after he parked. Needless to say I don't valet park anymore.

I own the Aukey DR-02 D dual dashcam. Just installed the rear cam this weekend!
    I highly recommend either this cam or the single forward facing DR-02. Install is straightforward and it makes a great gift!
    So many scummy people in Miami. I hated living there for fellowship. Not sure if you’re in MIA but it sure sounds like it. Glad the dash cam helped!

Leave a comment:

• jawdr
    replied
    Everyone should have a dashcam. We have many reckless drivers in south Fl where I live. The footage from mine and my gf's dashcam has been beneficial in many situations. She was involved in a crash where the other driver merged into her turn lane illegally and the other driver tried to put the blame on her in front of the police officer. We later emailed the footage to the officer who amended the police report stating the other car was at fault. My car was hit while a valet driver was inside the car and the incident was recorded. We had another incident where a valet driver stole items out of my center console. The video faced outward however audio was captured with the sound of the center console opening/closing with the valet driver in the car unnecessarily for about 2 mins after he parked. Needless to say I don't valet park anymore.

I own the Aukey DR-02 D dual dashcam. Just installed the rear cam this weekend!
    I highly recommend either this cam or the single forward facing DR-02. Install is straightforward and it makes a great gift!

Leave a comment:

• zlandar
    replied
    I have a front/rear Blackvue 750 for the last two years. Had it professionally installed at a car audio shop. Still working and I let it run 6 hours in parking mode.

Never know when you will be in an accident and need video to keep people honest.

Leave a comment:

• Practice
    replied
    Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Of course it is always better when you can pick and choose what to reveal.
    Yes, got to love it. Creative editing for the win!

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
    Sounds like a good idea but where does it stop. Are we going to be walking around with our phones poking out of our shirt pockets to record 24/7?

This might be the first step.
    Maybe when the liability of just walking around approaches that of driving in a car. Until then, I think this is specious reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    Originally posted by Hatton View Post
    I was in a wreck where I was sandwiched like you describe. They totaled the car because the electronics in bumpers is expensive to repair.
    The crash avoidance electronics, ironically.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Practice View Post

Dash cams seem like a good idea to me IF you control the footage. I wouldn't want the footage to be accessible to anyone else like an insurance company, the auto manufacturer, police, etc. So if the dash cam is built into the car from the manufacturer, then they would also have access to the footage (whether they tell you this or not). But, if you install something after market, and therefor fully control who can see the footage so it doesn't invade your privacy, then a dash cam seems like a good idea.
    Of course it is always better when you can pick and choose what to reveal.

Leave a comment:

• Practice
    replied
    Originally posted by MSooner View Post
    I'm curious as to what this crowd thinks of dash cams and if anyone has one/has ever found one helpful.

A few years ago my husband was involved in a 4 car accident on the way to work. Insurance took care of it...and then someone who literally pulled over 1/2 mile down the road claimed they were involved. It was one of those classic horror stories--no one could figure out how on earth he was involved, including the police. He had no license and it was a disaster. Told my husband he had been in an accident the week before, the only damage on his car was taped up with duct tape, later claimed no medical issues prior to the accident but was literally on the way to the VA for surgery. In a nutshell, insurance offered him money to settle, he called a lawyer on the back of the phone book and three years later (after depositions and 3 court dates) he finally settled for the original amount the night before the plaintiff's final chance at trial. The whole thing was incredible (even to the lawyers) and not exactly fun.

Since then we occasionally talk about getting dash cams. In fact we did yesterday.

Then today I went to the car wash--one of those automatic ones where you drive onto a track and put your car in neutral. I was in between two cars in the middle of the wash when something happened--either the car in front of me did something to get themselves stuck or the whole wash malfunctioned. The rollers kept going and I was slammed into the car in front of me and a giant pickup behind me was slammed into me. This kept going til I started frantically honking and someone turned the wash off. When I got out I saw the truck had cracked my bumper and smashed in my trunk door. Of course the car in front of me left before I even got out of the wash. The manager told the guy in the truck I had damage, but apparently just said, "Wasn't my fault" and left before I could get to him. Of course the car wash claims it wasn't their fault either. I filed a police report and found out the wash keeps video, but it sounds like my chances of getting it are low. So I'm likely out the deductible.

At any rate, that has no been two situations where a dashcam might have helped and I'm starting to seriously consider it--especially with a husband nearly an attending complete with a new target on his back.
    Dash cams seem like a good idea to me IF you control the footage. I wouldn't want the footage to be accessible to anyone else like an insurance company, the auto manufacturer, police, etc. So if the dash cam is built into the car from the manufacturer, then they would also have access to the footage (whether they tell you this or not). But, if you install something after market, and therefor fully control who can see the footage so it doesn't invade your privacy, then a dash cam seems like a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Yep CA. Idiots on the road everyday. The worst is the guy didn't stop after hitting the cyclist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X