Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigy
    replied
    Probably something I should do, but I just don't want one more thing to keep track of in my life.  That would be front and rear cameras in two cars, plus install, plus 4x memory cards, probably in for over a grand all said and done.  Let alone all the time spent learning how to operate, time spent to maintain, and time spent watching playback of mundanity.

If something happens to my car, so be it, that's what the insurance is for.

And FWIW, the video could also be used against you, whether you're at fault or not.  Just something to consider.  But they would definitely be very useful in the right situations.

Leave a comment:

• ACN
    replied
    We have blackvue dual-channel dash cams installed in both of our vehicles. They were professionally installed for about $500. They record obviously when we are driving and we then have an additional battery pack that is charged when the car is driving and that records for an additional 20 hours or so when the car is stationary. The cameras will record any Motion in parking mode so that's 20 hours can last less or more depending on how often the cameras are recording.

We have not had to use our recordings or any accidents or other Mischief however it does give me peace of mind knowing that I have a recorded sequence of events if anything were to happen.

If you're going to get a dashcam I would recommend getting a higher quality one as there is significant amount of difference in the detail that is picked up via the resolution as well as how well it records during the night. My front camera is a 4K ultra high definition and you can easily zoom in on the license plates of the cars ahead of you.

The cameras also have a g sensor and therefore they will pick up any accidental hits in a parking lot and will record the buffer footage from one minute prior to the impact and one minute after. When you get back in the vehicle the camera says that an impact was detected and then you can review the footage on your cell phone.

Leave a comment:

• SerrateAndDominate
    replied
    Russia dash cam videos are the best to watch

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    I will also say it seems like some of the crazier videos come from dash cams out of Russia.

Leave a comment:

• Dicast
    replied
    I have one in my car and the van we let my nanny drive. A fair quality camera doesn't cost much. If you can use it just once to avoid an insurance premium hike it will pay for itself. I drive in Dallas so it is just a matter of time before someone crashes into me.

I use the Aukey DR02-USA. You can find it on amazon. The one I have uses an adhesive pad to the window. I have also had suction cup mounts.

General tips:

There are lots of knock-off dash cams. Buy from a reputable seller.

Use a credit card to slide the power cord into the grooves around the headliner and window post to hide the cord (if you don't have it professionally installed).

If your suction cup keeps falling off the window then use a tiny amount of high heat silicone grease on a cleaned surface of the suction cup. (link is for example, I've never used that site)

Most cameras re-write blocks of 3 to 5 minutes. You don't need a large card because you'll probably only need 1 to 2 segments of footage.

Do you talk about patients in your car? Check to find out if you are recording the audio. Most units can de-select the audio for video only modes.

Leave a comment:

• notadoc
    replied

have wanted one forever just to record crazy drivers.

Embedded video

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Sounds like a good idea but where does it stop.  Are we going to be walking around with our phones poking out of our shirt pockets to record 24/7?

This might be the first step.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    I was in a wreck where I was sandwiched like you describe.  They totaled the car because the electronics in bumpers is expensive to repair.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied
    have wanted one forever just to record crazy drivers.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    I've looked into it but haven't pulled the trigger. I would get your insurance involved today. This is what you pay them for. They'll almost surely get that video. Depending on the car, replacing a trunk and bumper, plus any unforeseen damage underneath, likely won't be incredibly cheap.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    Interesting idea.

In my state you cant record a conversation secretly...dont know about video in car (which is part of your Castle).

I had a fender ripped off in an automatic car wash by a tool left in track. They paid up, but I feel for your hassle. I'd be surprised if your insurance pays anything vs going after car wash (given cost of bumpers these days). Good luck- Give us an update when all settled.

Leave a comment:

• MSooner
    started a topic Dash Cams

Dash Cams

I'm curious as to what this crowd thinks of dash cams and if anyone has one/has ever found one helpful.

A few years ago my husband was involved in a 4 car accident on the way to work. Insurance took care of it...and then someone who literally pulled over 1/2 mile down the road claimed they were involved. It was one of those classic horror stories--no one could figure out how on earth he was involved, including the police. He had no license and it was a disaster. Told my husband he had been in an accident the week before, the only damage on his car was taped up with duct tape, later claimed no medical issues prior to the accident but was literally on the way to the VA for surgery.  In a nutshell, insurance offered him money to settle, he called a lawyer on the back of the phone book and three years later (after depositions and 3 court dates) he finally settled for the original amount the night before the plaintiff's final chance at trial. The whole thing was incredible (even to the lawyers) and not exactly fun.

Since then we occasionally talk about getting dash cams. In fact we did yesterday.

Then today I went to the car wash--one of those automatic ones where you drive onto a track and put your car in neutral. I was in between two cars in the middle of the wash when something happened--either the car in front of me did something to get themselves stuck or the whole wash malfunctioned. The rollers kept going and I was slammed into the car in front of me and a giant pickup behind me was slammed into me. This kept going til I started frantically honking and someone turned the wash off. When I got out I saw the truck had cracked my bumper and smashed in my trunk door. Of course the car in front of me left before I even got out of the wash. The manager told the guy in the truck I had damage, but apparently just said, "Wasn't my fault" and left before I could get to him. Of course the car wash claims it wasn't their fault either. I filed a police report and found out the wash keeps video, but it sounds like my chances of getting it are low. So I'm likely out the deductible.

At any rate, that has no been two situations where a dashcam might have helped and I'm starting to seriously consider it--especially with a husband nearly an attending complete with a new target on his back.
Working...
X